Personally, as a travel junkie myself, travel insurance is most definitely worth having. But did you know that you can get free travel insurance by using the right credit card when purchasing your flight tickets? Some of the free travel insurance you get from your credit card covers delays, flight cancellation and even lost baggage.
If you are a frequent traveller, you may want to consider buying annual travel insurance, instead of buying travel insurance for each of your trips.
Key benefits of travel insurance
A comprehensive, and reasonable travel insurance package should provide coverage for the following:
• Personal accident.
• Medical expenses (sickness and accident).
• Emergency medical repatriation and evacuation.
• Loss of personal effects such as phone, passport, money etc.
• Travel inconvenience such as flight delay or cancellation, missing baggage, etc.
• The hijacking of flights.
Benefits from Credit Card Travel Insurance
1. When your flight is delayed or cancelled
You are entitled to receive compensation which includes meals and accommodations depending on how long the delay is for from the airline operator.
• Delays of 2 hours or more: you are entitled to receive meals, internet access and telephone calls access
• Delays of 5 hours or more: you are entitled to receive transport and hotel accommodation
However, with the Maybank’s Islamic Ikhwan Visa Infinite Card-i you don’t have to worry about travel inconveniences as you will be reimbursed if you miss your connecting flight and also be protected against lost and delayed luggage for up to RM5,000.
2. When your baggage is lost
You are entitled to compensation from the airline but you will need to file a complaint to the airline as per below:
• make your claim on arrival
• within 7 days of receiving your bags (for damaged baggage)
• within 21 days of receiving your bags (for delayed baggage)
However, with a Citibank PremierMiles Credit Card, it provides coverage that is even comparable to a standalone travel insurance. Among the coverage includes loss of baggage and personal items of up to RM12,000. Aside from that, principal and supplementary cardholder will be covered with overseas medical expenses insurance for up to RM50,000.
3. Theft and Accidental Damage
This is usually not covered by the airlines so you will need to ensure you include this in your travel insurance coverage.
However, the AmBank World MasterCard is great for stress-free travel as you will get RM2 million travel insurance coverage for you and your family when you charge your full fare airline ticket to the card. An extra perk is having your personal purchases during the trip also insured for up to RM50,000 against theft and accidental damage, but it must be within 30 days from the date of purchase.
How useful is travel insurance? Incredibly if you look at the list above. But assess your needs as a traveller. Do you need to buy a separate travel insurance? What if you’re already covered by the airline and credit card companies? Do your research before buying travel insurance!
CompareHero.my is dedicated to raising financial literacy in our country and to helping everyday Malaysians make smarter and well-informed financial decisions in life.
pictures here used for illustration are taken from google.com , belong to their rightful owners and do not belong to me